I already see that this is the first version and there are modifications necessary for this thing to be built by anyone and to be ready for the pot holed streets of New York! I may put a mock version of what I want the final prototype to look like in the future. The front wheels need another piece of tube to hold it without bending the steel rod. I have to make another model since I don’t see how I can put another tube on the outside of the wheels and have it hold firmly to the rest of the front frame.
The back wheel holds well because the two poles are allowing for equal weight distribution.
The front wheels don’t allow for equal weight distribution and cause the steel rod to bend.
I used steel rods and put a nut around the middle of the rod to strengthen it. I then wrapped it with rubber bands and made “joy stick” handles.
I was able to even get a test drive down an incline! The only thing was it was a very short test drive as the wheel came off because of the rubber band/tape mixture on the steel rod rotted off. I was able to steer which got me excited so I know that the handles work.
So I finally think this is a working prototype that needs one adjustment: the front wheels have to be held like the back wheels. I noticed too much weight is on one side of the wheel.
*Please note that I’m learning about electric motors and batteries as well as studying chess and ways of teaching chess. I don’t want to get a brain overload but playing chess is helping me to work on the trike logically and see easy ways to put the trike together.*
On Monday, I did intense labor! I used the bad drill and was finally able to put handles on (That took me about 3 hours!). Then I had the opportunity to put air in the trike tires. This completely frustrated me as there’s a gas station close by that no longer has a working air pump. So I found another one, but it was a hard note to self since it had a nozzle where I had to hold the handle in order to get air. I wasted $4 filling 3 tires! Each dollar gives me 3 minutes to fill 1 tire! I won’t be using that pump again, but one I’m more familiar with unless I learn how to use that pump better and not waste money. I rested until Friday since my week was busy and I needed some time away from the trike so I didn’t destroy it from frustration.
Today (Friday, Sept. 11) I worked on assembling the trike: making sure all the nuts were tight and putting the wheels back on tightly. I did all that. Those handlebars from Monday didn’t turn the trike! I was so upset with that. I was able to find a way to turn the trike, but I need to put something in the area that seems to allow the front wheels to turn with ease. I’m thinking of putting some kind of knob over the nuts and rods that are holding the steel bars.
So the trike holds my weight, pics of trike are below. I was able to move it back better with my hands then forward. I tried seeing if the drill that I use could move the trike, but I think I would be wasting my time. I’m also thinking of a way that I can put an umbrella on my Razor Scooter so I get shade from the sun to get some idea of how to do it for the trike.
Notice the black handles. I tried to do a “quick fix” that doesn’t allow the handles to turn the wheels with me sitting on it.
The two wooden poles hold my feet. I couldn’t even get most of the nails to go fully through the wood with that bad drill! There are nails that come up through the seat and therefore I have a pillow on the seat.